Abbott Clay & Reed

Posts Tagged ‘dock injury’

Are Dock Workers Protected Under the Jones Act?

In Jones Act Law on June 22, 2009 at 7:48 AM

The question of whether or not Dock Workers are protected under the Jones act is a complicated question of maritime law that usually has to be sorted out by a qualified maritime lawyer in order to become clear, however, there is a general guideline that can help you understand whether or not you should be looking to pursue a Jones Act case. You see, the interesting thing to remember is that, in either case, you will be covered under one element or another of maritime law. Because of this fact, seeking out a maritime lawyer is always going to be a good idea if you are injured while working on a dock.

The exact law may be more complicated than this, but here is a good guideline for establishing eligibility under the Jones Act. If you are working on a dock but are employed by a sea going vessel, even while working on the dock or in port, should you become injured, there is a good chance that you are going to be able to make a claim under the Jones Act. On the other hand, longshore and harbor workers who are actually not employed by the vessel are not covered under the Jones Act. Instead, there is a different law which protects them which is called the Longshore Harbor Worker’s Compensation At.

Whichever of these situations applies to you, the important thing is going to be to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in maritime law to see where your particular case fits in, and how to best proceed with filing a claim and getting compensation. Remember, dockworkers and ship workers both need to follow some basic advice while injured on the job, one of the most important pieces of that advice being not to sign anything that your company puts in front of you until you consult with the attorney that will be handling your case.


If I File a Claim Under the Jones Act, What Paperwork Will I Need?

In Jones Act Law, Legal Representation on May 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM

If you are injured while working on a maritime vessel or for that vessel and are injured even while on land, such as on a dock or in a harbor, you are likely going to be eligible to file a claim under the statues of the Federal Jones Act. The Jones Act is a maritime law or admiralty law which protects maritime workers and seamen. However, there are some important things to remember when it comes time to handling all the paperwork and processing of putting through a Jones act claim.

First of all, let’s cover what you don’t need. What you don’t want to do – ever – is to sign a document that the company puts in front of you immediately after you’ve been injured. In many cases this is what happens, and the company throws paper at their injured worker and before they know it, they may have signed away any rights they had to make a claim under the Jones act. This needs to be avoided at all costs, and is why you should always consult a lawyer who specializes in Maritime Law before you sign anything the company puts in front of you.

What you will need in terms of paperwork is medical records. Your attorney can handle the rest, and sometimes can handle getting copies of your medical records as well, but it is vital that you obtain as detailed copies of all relevant medical information as possible. This means much more than just a doctor’s note, and includes things like X-rays, lab results and the results of any scans or tests which are done that prove the extent of your injuries, as well as the costs being incurred for medical treatments. You are going to need to make sure that your lawyer receives a copy of all of this documentation, and you should also try and keep copies for your own records in case you run into any discrepancies down the road.